[CAUT] huge pitch raise question

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Mon Jan 8 13:08:46 MST 2007

Hey, Michelle,

Since I learned the true facts about what goes on during a pitch raise at
Convention lo these many years ago (a Don Mannino class, as I recall), I
have always raised pitch all at once.  Only one proviso: I never go more
than 30 cents sharp, regardless of how flat the piano started out.  That's
just my own safety margin.  Of course, this presupposes that I have already
decided that the strings & structure can stand the stress.  I don't recall
any particular problem as you describe.  It may have happened once or twice
in 15 years, but certainly no pattern.

My interesting finding: it seems that the "percentage overpull" formula
works great up to 100 cents, but when I raise a piano a whole step or even a
minor third, it seems to usually come out just as close to pitch with "only"
a 30-cent overpull as do lesser pitch raises with the usual percentages (I
use 10% bass, 25% tenor, 30% treble).  Diminishing returns, or something
like that.

I share your "flat then sharp" habit, and I think it's a very good habit.
There's nothing quite like the cold, slimy feeling of realizing that (1) I
forgot to go flat first, and (2) I just pulled the string sharp but the
pitch didn't change.  This is generally followed a fraction of a second
later by the sound of a breaking string.  I hate it when that happens!

I am also a jerk tuner.  Don't believe me?  Ask my wife! :-)  Seriously,
when I do a big pitch raise, I usually bring the string up in 15-25 cent
jumps.

Regards,
Ken Z.

--