[CAUT] String stiffness questions

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Mon Jan 8 14:52:45 MST 2007

Hey, Alan & Ric,

I believe Ric is asking about the inharmonicity constant.  I don¹t know if
that is the name used by engineers, but that¹s what I have heard it called.
It relates length, diameter, and tension to predict the inharmonicity of a
particular string/note.  PScale used it to generate an inharmonicity number
for each note, and ETDs use it to build their stretch curves.  I have only
seen one value referring to music wire in general, and I have wondered
whether it might be different for Mapes vs Roslau.  I would certainly expect
Pure Sound to be different.  I can¹t lay my hands on a precise value,
though.  Ron? Del? I¹m getting in over my head here!  Bail me out!

Regards,
Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT