[CAUT] String stiffness questions

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jan 8 16:32:32 MST 2007

Hi again Alan and Ken

S is given in The Calculating Technician as  S = d^4/(139430*L^2*T) and
he mentions that this is for Steel wire.  I would also assume that S
would vary for various kinds of wire.  That would probably mean that the
number 139430  is what changes... and what this number actually
represents and where it comes from is still at this point a mystery....
grin... Tho I will get more time for reading tommorrow.  In the mean
time.. if anyone has the answer I am looking for... I sure would
appreciate it.

In any case... it doesnt really look like this has anything to do with
McFerrins Inharmonicity Constant...  or perhaps thats just another way
of going about things ?

Cheers
RicB