[CAUT] huge pitch raise question

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Mon Jan 8 19:32:20 MST 2007

Hi Michelle,

How hard are you hitting the keys? My "record" pitch correction was 450
cents (no strings broke--first pass to standard pitch, 2nd pass with pitch
correction, third pass fine tune). I use a Mehaffy style impact tuning
lever. String breakage using the overpulls in Reyburn Cybertuner has
resulted in a 0.000015% failure rate over a period of ten years. Max
overpull in treble 30 cents, max in bass 12 cents.

Easy up on your pounding. Learn to tune at no more than MF with good
stability. It will save your ears, your body, and many fewer strings will
"pop".

Going down in pitch first is a good technique if there is any chance of
rust or corrosion. It's always a surpize when a string fails as you lower
pitch.

I've attached a small file that suggests when the "next service" of the
piano should be called "suggestedinterval.rtf" It should open with wordpad
(mac folks are on their own).

Are you using an electronic tuning aide? (Accutuner etc.)