[CAUT] Paint on Polyester

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Tue Jan 16 13:14:55 MST 2007

We have a Yamaha C3 (black polyester) here that has been in a practice room
for several years, and was just moved to a classroom.  There are some
spots/streaks of white paint on the edge of the lid, from the wall of the
PR.  I have no idea how long it has been there.  It looks like it happened
the last time the PR was painted; I don¹t think it is from being jammed up
against the wall.  Scraping the paint with my fingernail had no effect
whatsoever.  Since the piano is now in a classroom, where everybody can see
the paint spots, the boss wants it cleaned up.  I know poly is pretty inert,
but I didn¹t want to just start trying solvents.  Anybody have any
experience with this?  What will remove paint but leave poly alone?

Thanks,
Ken Z.
--
Ken Zahringer, RPT