[CAUT] Paint on Polyester

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 16 14:12:53 MST 2007

Hi Ken,
	Lacquer thinner will do just fine. As it happened, when I read your
post I was in a practice room with a Yamaha G-2 with a nice white
paint smear on the lid. Wouldn't budge when I tried removing with
fingernail. So I experimented for you. After using the lacquer
thinner, it looked fine compared to the rest of the piano. I then
used a bit of Flitz and polished. Now it looks better than the rest
of the piano (like new - the rest is scratched and dirty
comparatively). But bottom line: lacquer thinner won't touch
polyester, and it will remove just any wall paint, whether scraped on
or actually applied wet (as in paint drips from not covering the piano.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu