[CAUT] link to young paper

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 16 14:24:00 MST 2007

Hi Ric,
	Very interesting to read the original paper. Thanks for finding it.
It is also interesting that all of this work was done on the basis of
measurements made with a Conn Stroboscope. I wonder if additional
work has been done with more refined measuring devices, and, if so,
if the results have been the same.
	The figures (as in charts/diagrams) referred to in the article don't
appear in the link Ric gave. The original article (including the
figures) can be seen in pdf via http://scitation.aip.org/jasa/ (The
Journal of the Acoustical Society of America - search Young (author),
Inharmonicity (keyword title/abstract).
	There are the usual scattershot results in Young's research, which
he "resolves" to neat curves, as seen in those figures. As a
practical technician, I often find that there seem to be strange
anomalies in inharmonicity, and often separate measurements of the
same string will vary markedly, in my experience and that of others
(Dean Reyburn talks about "false" inharmonic ladders - I forget his
term for them). All those formulae make it seem that pianos are more
predictable than they are.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico