[CAUT] B-flat Fork

James Ellis claviers at nxs.net
Wed Jan 17 09:19:08 MST 2007

Wim Blees asked about a B-flat tuning fork.  That can be done.  However, as
Joseph Alkana suggested, if various players are going to use it to tune to,
I would opt for a bar instead of a fork.

If it's a bar, I can make one at any frequency between 300 and 600 Hz,
tuned, calibrated, and mounted on a resonant box.  Contrary to what Joseph
described, I can give you a specified frequency at a specified temperature.

If there is any demand for it at any given frequency, I can do it for a
reasonable price.  If it is only one of a kind, I can do that too, but it
will be expensive.  I can do a modified, tuned, and calibrated fork too,
for a lot less than a nice bar.

But as Ken Zahringer suggested, why not use an electronic device that will
give you a continuous tone?  I think $140 for Sanderson's device is
reasonable, according to today's prices.  Wim seems to think it's too
expensive.  But if you are only willing to pay a cheap price, you are going
to get something cheap in return, and that's not what Sanderson sells.

Jim Ellis