[CAUT] Bb fork

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Jan 19 09:29:17 MST 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Willem Blees wrote:

> Have any of you ever heard of a Bb fork? One of our assistant band
> directors asked if there was such a thing. He said most Junior and
> High School band pieces are in F or Bb. It would give the clarinet (or
> trumpet), something to tune off. Would it be possible to file the
> throat of an A fork up to a Bb?
>
> Wim
> Willem Blees, RPT
> Piano Tuner/Technician
> School of Music
> University of Alabama
> Tuscaloosa, AL USA

I agree with the others, but if he wants a fork, check your Schaff
catalog, p. 32:

  "Note - any of the other tuning forks, with the frequencies listed
in the chart below, are normally available.  Please ask for pricing.
Also, on a special order basis, any fork with a given frequency can
be ordered."

(they call it an A# if that won't throw him off)

I assume that applies to both the John Walker and Wittner forks.

We also have a music store here which carries low end Wittner forks
of "other than A and C" pitches - retail is about what cost is of the
Schaff forks.  Might check your local stores.

As far as accuracy is concerned:  it's band.  They're just looking to
get in the ballpark.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina