[CAUT] NAMM Report

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Sun Jan 21 14:20:44 MST 2007

(post duplicated to pianotech list)

Hello all,

Just got back from the NAMM show.  I haven't been in a few years so I
thought it was time to catch up.  Here is my report.

As always lots of piano folks there.  As expected the reps were very anxious
to do business with dealers.  A tough sell this year with sales down for
most markets. Dealer prices, even with NAMM specials, were pretty much rock
bottom and flat as they will go for now.  Dealers are being very careful on
keeping inventories low.  The general feeling among the retailers that I
spoke with, however, is for measurable improvement in sales over the coming
year.  I sat in on a number of negotiation meetings with the local dealer
this year with their blessing and got a good education.  I am unable to
elaborate, however, as the details are privileged information.

I saw a number of tech people along the way.  A nice hello to Don Mannino,
and a big congratulations to Mark Wisner who has taken the position of
general technical service manager with Kawai after having recently departed
Pearl River.  It was only his 5th day with the company but he was excited.
I stopped by and visited the PTG booth and said hello to the folks.  The
2008 national convention will be held in a hotel only walking distance from
there.  I saw a few other techs walking around from a distance.

I made the usual rounds checking out all the manufacturers and their wares.
Among this years first NAMM inaugural appearance there was only one new
piano brand that truly impressed me in it's particular class and price
range.  The award goes to Hailun from China,
http://www.hailunpiano.com/en/index_e.asp.  The company has been making
parts for other brands outside of China for many years but this is the first
piano of their own.  Some of the features included a tunable duplex scale,
German felt, hornbeam action parts, a tapered sound board, and an overall a
very nice looking and well engineered instrument.  Some leading people
outside of China designed it and it is reported to be the only piano factory
not owned by the government.  The uprights as of now have agraffs all the
way up, and removing the mute rail for tuning takes 10 seconds.  All models
include a leather adjustable simi-artist bench.  Pre-installed PianoDisc
players are an available option and are installed at the factory meaning
they would already be regulated for it, something PianoDisc does not do when
installed in Sacramento.  With their permission I pulled and examined an
action.  The only critique I have, (and a relatively mild one), were the
action rails.  The hammer rail was wood.  Being the old stand-by design
there isn't anything inherently bad about this but I would have expected the
more stable aluminum as with most modern designs.  The wippen rail was
aluminum but with a maple core.  Better, but I would hope to see these items
improved.  They are not available for made-to-order stenciled names.

I must mention Kawai's new upright which was shown for the first time.
Kawai has at last discontinued the UST-7 and UST-8 in favor of the all new
UST-9.  It only wholesales for about $100 more than the UST-8.  It appears
somewhat like the UST-8 but it has the scale and the back of the UST-7 and a
number of other all-around general improvements.  It has their poly-carbon
action making regulation very stable.  This should be quite popular as a
general school piano.  They also debuted a new digital piano that has a wood
sound board.  Although they did not illustrate how they did it, the board is
directly connected to the speaker coil giving it a more piano-like sound.  I
was invited to the Kawai reception dinner where they used it as part of the
live entertainment with a sound board pick-up rather than the audio outputs.
Someone jokingly asked when they were going to offer a digital piano with
strings.  It still doesn't sound like a real piano but perhaps a slight step
in the right direction.  Most of the evenings entertainment featured the
massive 9'5"  EX.

I did the usual wandering throughout the show.  A lot of interesting new
electronic gismos if you are into that sort of thing.  Sound modules,
harmonizers, and other types of electronic effects processors were very big
this year, as was digital percussion.  There didn't seem to be as many
Chinese companies this time around as I recall from the past selling things
like horns and accordions.  Roland Unveiled a new portable keyboard that was
kind of interesting.  I limited my time in the lower level exhibit halls as
they tend to be incredibly noisy with everyone test driving instruments all
at once, particularly the electric guitars and drums.

PianoDisc has redesigned the Opus system.  The new control module is
enclosed in a re-engineered case with a massive heat sink to resolve a
previous overheating problem.  The control tablet is new, more compact, and
most importantly it is far faster than the old speeding snail unit.  It uses
the Microsoft compact PC, (PDA), operating system which means it can be
directly interfaced with the internet.  Unfortunately the new design does
not reduce the number of cables required under the piano meaning that
installs will still require coiling the massive spaghetti mess under there.
As expected Nina Butler and Mark Burgett were both present.  I inquired
about the wireless audio transmitters for the benifit of the occasional
customers who want them.  We have been having some issues with these.
Traditionally they have had problems picking up noise and sometimes a little
AC hum drifting through.  Mark informed me they are no longer providing them
and that hard-wiring the system is all they will now recommend due to these
frequent complaints.  I visited the Shure booth who was previously providing
PianoDisc with the units to see if there were any alternatives.  Shure has
discontinued them altogether and I walked away with only a free T-shirt.  As
a VHF system most wireless manufactures are now turning to UHF frequencies
for quieter and better performance.  In spite my searching the entire NAMM
floor all I could find were mic or guitar wireless UHF, no line input
systems.  Bottom line, no more wireless audio for PDS.

So that's the NAMM report.  Other than paying $9.00 each day for parking
over the course of three days and the $11.00 fatty sandwich I ate, it was a
worth while trip.  My tired feet, however, dispute that claim.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV