[CAUT] S&S Hearing Aida!?

James Ellis claviers at nxs.net
Tue Jan 23 10:32:01 MST 2007

Yes, I saw it too, and my reaction was not good.  What kind of message does
that send?  Does it suggest that people who are in the Steinway "society"
are hard of hearing?  Moreover, I agree with Michelle.  I too think that
magazine is "gluttonous".  The thing that put Steinway on top for so many
years was the "image".  "Steinway" meant one thing, and one thing only,
i.e., high-quality pianos.  No matter what size or style, their pianos had
only one quality level, while with some competitors, the quality level was
proportional to the size and type of the instrument.

Now, as per that magazine, what does Steinway represent anyway?  It looks
like a conglomeration of all sorts of high-end stuff for people who have
lots of money they didn't earn for themselves and don't know what to do
with it.  I think, for some extra bucks, it dilutes Steinway's
long-standing "image", and I think it's a huge mistake!  I'm sorry to see
this happening!

Jim Ellis