[CAUT] String scaling help svp?

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Fri Jan 26 08:31:01 MST 2007

from the comments below (kawai kg-2A string breakage, november 22/06) I'm
not sure if we resolved whether string gauge was a factor in excess breakage
on these high-tension scales?

Anyone with scaling software mind running some numbers for me?

note            string diameter     speaking length

# 75 (B6)     .033" (#14)            105mm

#80 (E7)     .033" (#14)              80mm

I'm curious about the % of break point, and what consequence there would be
in replacing these with .032" wire.

Within the last two years, I've had Jeremy re-string trebles in a half-dozen
KG-2 incarnations as "prevention." However, string breakage seems as rampant
now as it did with the original strings.

Thanks for helping me rule out this variable... I'm on the brink (God
forbid) of imposing a 3mm (1/8th") let-off in the treble sections of all
practice room grands!

thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

  Check out this table for full comparison of Metric and SAE sizes:
  http://www.pianofortesupply.com/wiresizes.html

  Jurgen Goering
  Piano Forte Supply
  (250) 754-2440
  info at pianofortesupply.com
  http://www.pianofortesupply.com

    So it's not quite a full 1/2 size? I have the cheap mics that only do
    thousands... kind of.

    Jim Busby

      Regarding scaling Jim, just remember ( I'm sure you have, but I know
      someone who didn't :>( that guages stamped on the bridge are metric,
      which are about a 1/2 size smaller.

      best regards,
      Mark Cramer

    Gage for gage, #12 metric wire is about 0.0005" smaller than
    #12 SAE, progressing in an orderly manner to about 0.0007"
    smaller at #20. There is less than 0.001" difference through
    the entire range.
    Ron N