[CAUT] String scaling help svp? / correction

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Mon Jan 29 04:10:26 MST 2007

Hi Stephen / others

Re-reading my last I see a sentence that is misleading and needs correcting...

Where I say:

 " And in your example of Brass, Q (Youngs Modulus) should indeed be lower (then steel) as a result of its  higher density."

The Inhamonicity coefficient Young gives would dictate that the Youngs modulus was higher when density goes up.... if it (the coefficient) applies as it seems to infer.

This, along with the rest of Stephens post seems to point to saying that this inharmonicity coefficient is simply not valid period because there is no reliable way of calculating Q (Youngs Modulus) and since p (density) doesnt actually have the relationship with Q he states.  So virtually any scaling formula that relies on Youngs Modulus is essentially a shot in the dark.  Inharmonicity uses Q, and if I am not mistaken so do formulas for elongation and I think % breaking tension... correct me where wrong thanks.

Kind of makes figuring of these rather suspect yes ?

Thanks
RicB