[CAUT] Tuning Hammer tip sizes

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Mon Jan 29 17:04:13 MST 2007

Getting back to the earlier question of tuning pin specifications: I
have received the technical information from the German Biene brand
(formerly known as Fly brand) tuning pins.

The angle of the square taper on these pins is 3.5 degrees.  That is
per side, so the total angle would be 7 degrees.  Interestingly, for
very large pins, sizes 5/0 and 6/0, the angle is 4 degrees.   I cannot
say that this is an industry standard - from my experience, I would say
that it is not a world wide standard, as some makes of Asian pins seem
to vary enough to make tuning more difficult for me.

The table I have goes all the way up to sizes 7/0 and 8/0, although I
have never seen tuning pins that large, nor have I had the "pleasure"
to tune a piano thus pinned.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440