[CAUT] New Scale/Scale Stick

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 30 10:57:10 MST 2007

Thanks Ron O

One thing that I was really suprised about in tear down was how hard it
was to pull the pins on the old bridge.  My forte' is definitely not
wood recognition at this point so I would be unable to tell the
difference between Sycamore and HardRock Maple... but perhaps the
origional was maple after all given how good its condition was ?

I had gone down to Denmark thinking we would be making a beech bridge,
but let myself get swayed (for the better I think) in going with the
hard rock maple.  It sure looks wonderful thats for sure.

I still have to make a final decision on the string lengths / scale and
then comes lay out and notching.  Maple seems like nice stuff to work
with when it comes to notching... which prompts me to ask what in folks
experience is the best wood to work with for notching. Curious as hell
now that I am on this path :)

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,

    Regarding the wood which was used for the bridge,
    it probably isn't maple, but Sycamore. Both are
    from the family Acer, but one is sacharum (rock
    maple) with an ADD of 7.0 to 7.2 gr/cc, while the
    other is Acer pseudoplatanus, with an ADD of
    around 6.0 gr/ cc. Bösendorfer used to use
    pseudoplatanus for their bridges, and it was
    inclined to allow the bridge pins to stand up.
    They both look the same but the rock maple is the
    real McCoy.

    Samual Wolfenden wrote about maple being weaker
    than Beech. He was referring to psuedoplatanus
    when he was writing about maple. He knew.

    Best regards,
    Ron O.
    --
    OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY