[CAUT] Capstans to Tray

James Ellis claviers at nxs.net
Sat Mar 24 07:52:20 MST 2007

Ric B, David S, David L,

Either I missed it, or elso all of you guys missed something that's also
important.  I'm talking about getting the sostenuto tabs to line up when
everything else is lined up.  There are no individual adjustments on those
things, merely ways the adjust the height and position of the sostenuto rod
at different locations.  I like to begin by making sure the dampers are
lined up with respect to the strings when the sostenuto tabs are lined up
with respect to the rod.  There is more than one way to do that.  As for
whether the capstans are in the tray or under the underlevers (not
whippens, Ric), it doesn't matter.  The function is the same.  There are
some pianos that have spoons in the ends of the underlevers to provide
individual regulation of damper lift by key.  I like to begin by making
sure dampers and sostenuto tabs line up, work my way down, and end up by
regulating damper lift from key.  When I finish, everything lines up; the
dampers lift at the right time by pedal and key; the sostenuto works, and
I'm home free.

Jim Ellis