[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway

Charles K. Ball ckball at mail.utexas.edu
Sat May 5 08:19:49 MDT 2007

Jurgen,

The Hamburg pianos can be obtained new through local Steinway
dealers, but the selection must take place in Hamburg.  There is a
$50,000 difference in price between what we were quoted for a new
American D and a new Hamburg D.  Nonetheless, I tune for two
important venues that present major Classical pianists, both with an
American and a Hamburg Steinway D.  At one venue, about 95% of the
artists pick the Hamburg (I would characterize the American there as
"good" and the Hamburg as "very good").  At the other venue, where
both pianos are quite superior, about 90% pick the Hamburg.  It has
been many years since a visiting artist requested an instrument from
another manufacturer.

Charles

--
Charles K. Ball, RPT