[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Mon May 7 21:13:24 MDT 2007

At 08:49 AM 5/7/2007, caut-request at ptg.org wrote:
>Israel:
>
>Interesting story!  I'd love to have a closer look at how you educated
>the pianists to choose based on qualities of the instrument rather than
>some perception.

  I really cannot take credit for "educating" them in any way. I just
give them credit for being just a bit more open-minded than the
norm... Both I and the other technician here have a very cordial
relationship with all three of them - and they appear to take us
seriously. We always talk about the pianos - and it is a two-way
conversation, they do listen. So perhaps I am very lucky to be
working with such people. At least one of them - the Australian guy -
periodically tests out all the pianos, and brings along a graduate
student to give him feedback. Two weeks ago he told me that until now
he did not play the NY instrument because the tone wasn't "focused"
but lately the newer NY has a "focused" tone - such as he typically
finds in the Hamburg instruments - so he will use it. Whatever
"focused" means. I'm not going to argue  - so far he has been happy
with whatever voicing I have done... Apparently he does have a
specific tone in his ear, and looks for it in the instruments he
chooses. The same with teaching instruments - he absolutely hates
some of the Steinway B's that we have here,  likes others and there
is an old rebuilt Kawai 500 that he likes. (Because of space
limitations in our building they have to rotate teaching studios and
share them with non-piano faculty) And all three of these people
confer with each other and exchange opinions - so perhaps our faculty
is not typical.

One thing I will take credit for. I insisted on letting them play the
Hamburg into the ground before restringing it. My colleague wanted to
restring it preemptively, but I insisted on letting it really
deteriorate to where they couldn't deny the evidence of their ears -
that the New York piano is a better choice if you want a lot of sound
(at least temporarily). And so they got to play the New York
exclusively for a while -and got a pleasant surprise. But I give them
credit for keeping an open mind...

Israel Stein