[CAUT] Zein/felt

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Sat May 12 21:42:09 MDT 2007

As Ed wrote, zein is a corn protein and was developed as a shellac
substitute (particularly for food-grade shellac).  I stumbled across a
reference, wrote one of the producers for more info, and received a huge
sack of the stuff from the president of the company.  This sample is very
yellow, although I get the impression there are less colorful varieties.  It
smells wonderful and is completely inert and non-toxic.

If anyone's interesting in trying zein, I'll be glad to supply you with a
sample.

(And if you're wondering about "food-grade shellac", did you know that
Twinkies' ingredients include food-grade plaster of Paris?  Now that's
really scary... but explains a lot.)

Annie Grieshop