[CAUT] Critter-damaged punchings

Ted Sambell edward.sambell at sympatico.ca
Sun May 13 22:29:23 MDT 2007

I believe that it was in 1958 or thereabouts that the ASPT convention had
its main focus on this problem, and enlisted the aid of scientists from the
US Dept. of Agticulture. They had been investigating it for the military,
because of the problem of storing seven million wool army blankets.As I
remember it, there were three main insects they dealt with, the webbing
clothes moth, silverfish and carpet beetles. The first two are fairly easy
to deal with, but carpet beetles were actually mistaken for moths most of
the time, and extremely  difficult to get rid of. They tested the supply
houses' solutions and pronounced all of them ineffective. Shortly
afterwards. the supply houses elimintated these items from their catalogs.
The conclusion was that sanitation was the preferred approach, but did come
up with a chemical however, a mixture of lindaine and DDT, but warned agaist
its toxicity and corrosive effect on metal surfaces. A few technicians
volunteered to take some home and experiment, and later condemmed it. As for
mothballs, it was agreed that tthey do kill moths, but only with a direct
hit. It used to be common to find small  cloth bags containing crystals
inside pianos I think these were paradichloridebenzene, which is nasty stuff
and proven ineffective too. Larry Scheer, one of the funniest people I have
ever known, brought his moth eradicator. It consisted of of two squares of
wood hinged  together; the lower one had printed on it to place the moth in
the center and bring the top down sharply. As a technician I knew long aago,
said "The moths are our little friends". One would occasionally run into
pianos  with the keyframe  liberally supplied with a powder called Paris
Green. It did not do anything either, except turn into dirt, and thus a
fertile breeding ground. I would comment that if one has to replace infested
keyframe punchings it is essential to replace all the paper punchings too. I
have seen too many pianos where this was not done, with inevitable
re-infestation. We do not seem to see anywhere near the amount of insect
damage we used to, and I understand that some sort of mothproofing is done
during the manufacturing process,

Ted Sambell