[CAUT] Meantone (Which?)

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon May 14 17:21:49 MDT 2007

Hi Ed,

So, without "reading the book", do you think it's possible to narrow it
down to maybe 3 "meantone" temperaments? (For different general
periods.)

I should explain that we have a professor over the 4 harpsichords who
wants one (the Willard Martin) kept in Werkmeister (I chose WKIII), two
(a Neupert and a Tadashi) in EQ or mild WT, and this Daly (Italian)
which he wants kept in Meantone. When I showed him all the options for
meantone he wasn't sure of which one he wanted. He's a great guy and
wonderful organist, but it seems that most the professors I've talked
with think "Meantone is Meantone..." if you know what I mean.

I always hated Baskin Robbins. Just give me three or four flavors... (G)

Regards,
Jim Busby