[CAUT] Critter-damaged punchings

piano57 at insightbb.com piano57 at insightbb.com
Tue May 15 06:57:36 MDT 2007

Greetings all,

I know you've all been wondering constantly about the microwave/critter subject.  I've read the conservatore's report, and Ed Sutton was correct in his suggestion of using the microwave oven.  Here is a bit of the conclusion:

"Microwave heating can be an effective nonchemical method of disinfesting wool textiles.  In this study, 3 minutes of microwave exposure was sufficient to obtain a 100% mortality in the egg, larval and adult stages of the webbing clothes moth in a 2.2 m (nicely folded in the pictures) samples of wool gabardine with minimal effects on the chemical and physical properties of wool.  Prolonged heating should be avoided because it causes shrinkage, among other types of deterioration."

BTW, there was a mention of moisture and its effectiveness of microwaving.  ;-)

There you have it.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL

PS  Many thanks to the staff at Alpha Park District Library and the library at Bradley University, Peoria, IL for providing a copy of the report.