[CAUT] Prepared pianos. etc. Was "Agraffes and dampers"

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue May 15 17:09:59 MDT 2007

Hi Ric,

I agree with you. The first time I heard a particular John Cage piece (I
can't remember the name) it blew me away! It sounded like an African
percussion piece and piano, all played by two pianists.

Ric, FYI I tuned a temperament for a fellow with some notoriety, James
Tenney, from California who had a tuning that was based on an extended F
harmonic series. Sounded like hell... until you heard the piece. Wow! He
played about every note on the piano and let it ring out. It's one of
those things that is hard to describe.

Here is the tuning (You can't really call it a temperament. He didn't.)

A          -14

A#        -29

B          -49

C          +2

C#        -27

D          -49

D#        -31

E          -12

F           0

F#        +5

G          +4

G#        -2

If you want to hear something different but intriguing look up his
piece.

Regards,

Jim Busby BYU