[CAUT] Agraffes

Benjamin Treuhaft blt at igc.org
Wed May 16 02:10:37 MDT 2007

Is Mapes Gold finally a well-made wire that won't break under normal brutish
pianists' hands?  -blt (NYU)

From: A440A at aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 22:03:36 EDT
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Agraffes and dampers

<< :  A  Petrof P131 upright with agraffes to the top has broken every

> string from E6-E7.  The break is at the edge of the bearing before

> entering the agraffe on the speaking side. Any ideas? >>

Greetings,
      My idea is that there is a combination of heavy play, and less that
optimum wire.   Restring with Mapes Gold and see if that brand is more
durable
than the original.  We see a lot of broken strings in the C2 Yamahas, but
rarely have i seen one of my replacements break.  I may be simply
restringing all
these pianos, one note at a time...
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT