[CAUT] Killer half-octave

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed May 16 12:57:10 MDT 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions from my query this morning.  This is not
a new problem, it's just that it finally reached the dean's desk.  The
(relatively) small area that doesn't project got worse (i.e. wider -
more notes) in the winter and is now marginally better in the spring.
The piano needs rebuilding about a year before I'll have enough budget
to do it.

I think I am going to order one of those treble resonators since I can
try it at a modest cost.  The hammers are fairly new, Ronsen Wurzens
that I can't blame.  It is clearly a sounding board stiffness problem.
I just didn't have any exposure to this particular "fix" so I wanted to
see what experience others have had.  So far the reports are favorable.

I'll let you know if I get a miracle cure that would allow me to delay
its rebuild even longer (I do have other problem pianos to address
though not ones that are this public)!

dp

David M. Porritt

dporritt at smu.edu