[CAUT] Killer half-octave

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed May 16 17:14:39 MDT 2007

Esteemed colleagues:

 Hi Dave

I'm going to suggest something a bit radical... but very very reversable
in case it has no benificial effect, and will make for a I think very
interesting and easy to execute experiement.

Buy 3 pairs of 35 kilo force high power natural neodymn magnets. Mount 3
of these at even spaces under the killer octave area... with at least
one if not two on ribs just under the bridge in the area. Then construct
a beam that fits nicely inbetween the rim braces and mount the other
three so that they are exactly under the three you mounted on the
underside of the soundboard.  If you want to get a bit fancy you can
contrive this so that these have adjustable height screws going through
the beam.

You should be able to provide over around 80 kilos of repelling force...
i.e. crown support in the area in question... and you should be able to
adjust just how much you actually need if you want to.

I'm about to run an experiement on an older piano where I install a new
soundboard with ribs designed to provide optimal mass for the various
areas of the panel and provide the additional needed load support with
these magnets. Each magnet has around 35 kilos of force.  Opposing you
can get them within a couple mm of each other safely enough for the
application and get around 40 kilos of repelling force max... but in
practice I'd guess around 30 would be more like it...  However... 30
kilos of upwards force is a quite significant addition.  You add nearly
no mass... there is free air between the magnets so you are not coupled
mass wise to the beams....

I'm personally itching to try this.  6 such magnets are quite inexpensive...

Cheers
RicB

    Our NY D, (1983) has developed - in the last year or so - a killer
    half-octave from about A#5 - E6.  I've added some mass to the bridge
    right under C6 and that helped a little but the problem remains.  I've
    been searching through the archives this morning checking for any
    further heroic measures I could take within the confines of my budget.

    What's the general consensus of opinion about the "Treble Tone
    Resonator" that Pianotek sells?  While my current budget precludes a
    full remanufacturing I think I can manage the $155.00 for that!
    However, I don't want to spend even that  - nor expend the time
    installing it  - if it wouldn't help.

    Any ideas, suggestions, experience with it etc.?????

    dave