[CAUT] killer half-octave

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Thu May 17 15:52:59 MDT 2007

Hello Don and all,

I have a clue as to ". . . why this happened". After considering the
structure of these belly rails, I would be very concerned about
connecting such a tension device. In my workshop, the solution to
this soundboard-perimeter-support-stiffness problem has been to ditch
the 'bell' and fit an extra back beam in the treble.

Take a look at the following image of a Hamburg model D from the
60's, in the process of being rebuilt.

http://overspianos.com.au/stdctoff1.jpg

Notice the belly rail where the back beam connects with the belly
rail. Now look at the members which are glued together to make up
this belly rail assembly. The total thickness of the
full-depth-section of this belly rail is a mere 30 mm wide. The pine
piece immediately behind the belly rail, with the large knot in it,
is the filler piece between the belly rail and the laminated piece
which actually connects with the soundboard. It amazes me why a
manufacturer, who goes to the trouble of building a rim with a solid
85 mm overall thickness, would fit only a 30 mm thick belly rail to a
concert size instrument. It is totally under-engineered. The addition
of an extra back beam, coupled with the bent bass corner cut-off
really helps to stiffen these cases to appropriate levels across the
belly rail in the treble area. The dimensional size of this belly
rail also goes some way towards explaining why this manufacturer
chooses to glue the keybed to the belly rail.

Another practice which I find baffling is why some manufacturers
choose to use weak-and-lossy pine for the connecting strip between
the belly rail and the soundboard perimeter support strip across the
belly rail. Quite a few manufacturers do this. It would seem to be a
wonderful way to cripple the structural integrity of the soundboard's
perimeter support.

Here's a second image which shows the extra back beam and the bass
side cut-off, when viewed from the font of the piano.

http://overspianos.com.au/stdctoff2.jpg

Here's an image of our 225 grand piano's belly rail in the treble area.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/oversno6.2.jpg

The full depth members of this belly rail assembly is made from two
pieces of rock maple which are each 30 mm thick, making a total belly
rail thickness of 60 mm. The piece which connects the full depth
section of the belly rail to the soundboard-perimeter-support piece
is also made from rock maple. The back beams are also made from rock
maple, and there are two of them covering the treble sections. The
treble is where we need stiffness and structural integrity, not at
the bass/treble cross where the plate horn collects. The
'tone-collector' myth is somewhat ironic, since the practice of
running most of the back beams to the cross between the bass and
treble makes this area stronger at the expense of the treble
sections, which are the ones which really need it. If design people
would pay more attention to structural requirements instead of
pandering to piano-making myth and folklore, we might get to take
contemporary piano design somewhere worthwhile while we're above
ground. Please note that these comments are general in application,
and not intended to be directed at a single manufacturer.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers