[CAUT] killer half-octave

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu May 17 21:05:28 MDT 2007

> The assumption seems to be that this device works by adding "tension"
> and perhaps "recrowns" the soundboard.

Bull pucky, sheep dip, and you may have already won. I'm Ben
Dover, and we're from the government, and here to help.

> Suppose, however that it just works by stiffening the belly rail and
> connecting it to the mass of the rim.

Ding ding ding!

>What would happen if you turned
> the turnbuckle the other way, just enough to add a little compression
> between the belly rail and the rim?
>
> Ed Sutton

Very likely something indistinguishable from the "A"
instruction list. It stiffens the belly rail by direct bracing
to something stiff, like the rim, and couples the belly rail
to something massive, like the rim, at the same time. It
should do this whether it's pushing or pulling, since either
compression or tension should enhance the coupling. I've found
that a 5/8" (arbitrary) steel rod or two embedded in the belly
rail and rim before the soundboard is installed does something
similar, but I haven't tried it as a retrofit in an existing
system.

I'd be interested to see what the effect would be, but the
opportunity hasn't come up yet.

Ron N