[CAUT] Mystery Click

Geoffrey Arnold welltemperedtuning at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 23:37:08 MDT 2007

Hello All,

Just wanted to share my experience and seek some insight on a mystery click which got the best of me. I regret to inform, I am unsure of the model of this baby grand in question, as the fallboard had been removed and stored elsewhere and I only glanced at the soundboard. Thompson & Someone? The construction reminded me of a newer Kanabe. It had been tuned by another technician a week previous and was pretty out after a week of performance in the theater's mainstage here at Whitman College.

The technical manager said it has had many problems for a "new" piano. It looked pretty darn new, though I am unsure of just when and how they acquired it. It had some squeeking balance rail pins easily proteked out, but F#5 had this click! I saved it for last and ended up having a good 30 minutes to work on it to no avail. It sounded to me like a loose hammer sound. An isolated, hollow, woody sound. Click was present with dampers lifted, so I ruled out damper involvement. Holding the key at capstan and lifting wippen with finger through letoff produced the click, so I ruled out key involvement, or backrail cloth stuff, plus it didn't sound to be coming from the key. I pulled the hammer to give it the swing test, and the hammer flange was pretty darn loose, so I repinned it just right, but did not eliminate the click.

With the action removed resting on my knees and keybed, I held a fist over F#5 and struck firm test blows. I heard the click as the hammer struck fist at a certain height but if I brought the fist low enough I didnt here the click, it seemed the click occured right at let off, so I thought jack related, or maybe popping rep lever. Maybe rep spring too tight slapping jack against rep lever window, or the rep lever height adjust button slapping against the wippen, but when isolated none of them made a sound different than their neighbors.

I wouldn't belabor the point, but I feel I've encountered this very click before, on an older Steinway at the college and would love to get to the bottom of it, for my ego and my edification. Any additional usual suspects to add to my checklist?

Thanks!

Greg Arnold

http://mail.yahoo.com