[CAUT] killer shanks

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Sat May 19 10:53:12 MDT 2007

Bob Hull
Yes I taper/channel the whole set and sort by weight. I am told that the stiffening is akin to I-beam construction but I am not an engineer so consider that hearsay. Speaking of hearing just put a tapered shank in the middle of the bass section amongst the hex and see if you hear a difference. I do. I get a stronger 3rd partial most of the time and I like that. I think tha doing this clears up the tone of the whole piano. You should experiment for yourself. A factory channeled complete set is available from Abel through Wally Brooks who was the first person to point out the attributes of doing this for me.  As I recall they are only Hamburg specs but I have used them with success. Wally will also channel other sets for you for a small fee. I am told that other sets are available from Pianotek and others but I have not gotten any so consider that a rumor. Usually I channel my own with a router gig and/or free hand on a belt sander. It is surprising how quickly and uniformly they can be turned out which is why i often don't bother with the router set up. I sort by weight to help smooth the Strikeweight taper ala Stanwood. I hope we can get some slow mo video on the difference someday.
Chris Solliday