[CAUT] New

Rick Florence Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Sun May 20 23:19:16 MDT 2007

Dave,

My opinion - the only way to go on this is to select.  There are far too many variances with Steinways to put your reputation, and sanity, at risk by dealing with a "less than wonderful" instrument.  Our most recent D purchase was before my time here, in 1990.  It is a nice piano, but not inspiring.  It was not selected, just ordered.  We have a wonderful Hamburg D in the same hall.  We have to lock and limit the Hamburg use, otherwise the NY would get 1/4 the use of the Hamburg.  No, it's not because the Hamburg is shiny; they both have a polyester finish.

I don't think I would fight the new piano crowd.  I assume from your question they want a Steinway.  I would instead work with them on determining which brand they wish to pursue (Hamburg or NY) and work out a way to go with a faculty member you can agree with to select the right piano.  The dealer or factory should pick up the tab, as they are the ones that want their instrument on your stage.  Of course a potential problem of selecting is you may be limited to the pianos on hand, choosing the best of a bunch of mediocre pianos.  I would make it clear that you must find a piano you really want, even if it takes more than one trip.  The concert piano market is a buyers market; use it to your advantage.

Rick Florence
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University
School of Music