[CAUT] Fiberboard

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Tue May 22 16:19:57 MDT 2007

I believe it is about clamping/damping the string close to the
agraffe. The distance can make a difference. There is a local tech
who likes to put a brass rod under the strings at about 3/8 to 1/2
inch from the agraffes when restringing. I had a customer with one of
these pianos who was VERY displeased with the sibilance this
produced, so after setting everything else up as well as I could
(regulating, voicing, etc.) I still got to extract the rod.  Fun. But
the customer was much happier. My impression was that having that
whole section undamped made far more difference than I'd guessed
based on just one note. But do listen to individual notes with and
without your finger pressing close to the agraffe for the general
effect.

Doug