[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Fred S Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Nov 12 12:51:27 MST 2007

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 06:22:03 -0600
  Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:
> The notion that nothing can be
>learned without someone teaching it to you is nonsense.
> Ron N

     Absolutely correct. In fact, one can say that real
learning only happens when the person learning takes
responsibility. And much if not most of what we learn is
done on our own without direction from anyone else (we
might have been given initial direction, but then we work
it out for ourselves, in our own way. In a music lesson,
we are given direction, then expected to "practice,
practice" - which is where we really learn it. If we learn
it). The best "teachers" are those who inspire their
learners to
become self-motivated learners. The best learners are
those who question what their "teachers" say, and try to
come to their own understanding.
      Where does this thread have a practical application
to the issue at hand, the potential creation of a caut
credential? One way has to do with how piano technicians
receive their training. A small proportion attend a
formal, full-time training program like North Bennett.
Most of us "pick up some here, some there," relying on
formal or informal mentorships, factory-run intensive
programs (usually week long), classes at regional or
national institutes, reading the PTJ, books, listservs,
etc. IOW, it is very difficult to measure what training
most of us have had. Most of us probably consider
ourselves "largely self-taught," however accurate or
inaccurate that statement is on close examination.
     If this credential is to become a reality, we need to
measure skill and knowledge in some way, rather than
focusing on training. To get a handle on what we might
want to measure, we can imagine an average piano
technician with a background mostly in the area of home
service, as in semi-regular tuning, a bit of regulation,
necessary repairs for the most part. This, let us say,
represents the level of skill and knowledge tested for in
the RPT exams (and let's not get bogged down in examining
those exams in detail. Too much of a distraction from the
task at hand). Throw that person into a caut context. What
additional chops and knowledge are needed?
      There are certainly some practical, mechanical
skills and levels of skill that need to be addressed.
Tuning well enough to get a check for a home tuning is
different from tuning well enough for a professional
musician and musical audience, and this is particularly
noticeable in the concert situation. Especially in the
clarity and stability of unisons. Regulating well enough
to make the instrument work for most people is different
from the precision and "subtlety" needed in the
professional context. Not to mention voicing. There are a
lot of procedures that are far more common in a caut
context than in most others, like keybushing, tail
scuffing, knuckle brushing, centerpinning to fine
tolerances.
     And then there are organizational skills: "You have
500 hours per year to take care of 50 pianos. Go do it."
Hmmm, how to get started? How to know if 10 hours per
piano per year is enough? Where to begin?
     It would be lovely to have an actual educational
program for cauts, full time for at least a few months. We
are more likely to have to rely on classes at national
institutes (moving out as possible to regionals), and
factory programs like the one Steinway does at Oberlin,
for the foreseeable future. I can certainly see the value
in working towards regular caut intensive programs, where
we bring cauts to various universities across the country
from year to year to do a few days of hands on. It would
take a lot of work to organize and prepare, and costs
would certainly be an issue. I don't think it would be
like Ed Foote's assessment of the financial rewards of
having attended North Bennett: a clear financial plus for
the attendee.
      In many ways, what we have before us is "an
impossible task." Whatever we come up with will not be
"ideal." Still, I firmly believe that we can come up with
something meaningful and useful.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico