[CAUT] CAUT credential vs. academic program?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 12 13:22:35 MST 2007

Well... since you are all into clarifying,  perhaps you might be kind to
put the quote you took below and put it back into its original
context... which was education in general.  And in that context it most
certainly is quite sound.

I reiterate.... a good education by far shortens ones path in gaining
skill with experience. Exceptions are rare. If you mean to suggest by
all this that a "learn it on your own" approach is just as successful in
turning out high quality techs (or whatever) as any other approach...
well thats your right.

RicB

    Just to clarify my position since RB seems fixated on
    misrepresentation and
    outright slander, let me offer it in the form of advice to those
    interested
    in the trade.  If you have the opportunity to begin your education
    at a fine
    institution like the North Bennett School or another similar
    program, by all
    means do so.  I have no doubt it will be a valuable experience.  But
    if you
    are unable to do that because you don't have the money, can't take
    the time
    away from your current work or family to immerse yourself in an
    intensive
    program, don't despair.  Unlike what Breckne suggests it is not a

        "plain bold faced fact, [that] lack of formal education is about as
    close to a guarantee of ignorance as it gets."

    There are many other ways to learn the trade and many have risen
    through the
    ranks through intensive self study, creativity and a thirst for
    knowledge.
    There are books, journals, conventions, local guild seminars, lists like
    this one and the PTG list, as well as countless technicians willing
    to share
    their expertise.  You can purchase old pianos and start taking them
    apart
    and putting them back together.  You may need to be more diligent in
    your
    quest, but you need that anyway, even if you do graduate from a
    credentialed
    program.  Even the best programs only lay a foundation.  Most of the
    highly
    developed skills and knowledge you need to really excel in the field
    will
    come through continued study and practice.

    (BTW, we've never met.)

    David Love