[CAUT] measuring wippen weight

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Oct 7 06:53:55 MDT 2007

Hi John, others..

I used to use half rounds, and just did again on a recent instrument...
But lately have gotten into the habit of taking 0.3 mm thick flange
paper strips layed along the back edge of the balance rail pins.  This
is very fast and is as accurate (if not just a hair more accurate) as
the line of balance rail pins is to begin with. It defines a very
straight line for the fulcrum of all keys.  Takes about 5 seconds to
install for an entire section and is very easy to reverse if you find
the need.

Been thinking a bit about measuring the change with the Stanwood
device.  As this only needs to be done for one key really... I'd suggest
trying to simply remove the jigs balance rail pin and carefully place
one key on the jig so that the new fulcrum is positioned on the point of
the jigs roller. Then simply continue as usual.  That would give you the
change in KR for change in fulcrum position... which you could apply to
all other keys directly.

Cheers
RicB

    I have use b/r shims twice to lower KR (moving the fulcrum back) and
    friction.  It was used because nothing else worked satisfactorily.
    --

    Regards,

    Jon Page