[CAUT] Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 9 01:01:50 MDT 2007

Hi Jim

I agree, the RPT title doesnt seem to carry a lot of weight in places
like this.  I suppose its a natural result of that seemingly eternal
quandry the PTG finds itself in regarding the whole <<certification>>
thing.  We end up giving a test that is in the end a confirmation of
minimal skills for a journeyman starting point at best. Could be worse I
suppose.  At least the PTG enforces the question about who gets to use
(or imply use) of RPT status in their advertising.  Here in Europe those
who are members of the German Klavierbaur association can imply without
any further ado that they are Klavierbaur Meisters.  They do not have to
specify their status as either Meister or Gessel (sp)  Gessel means
"helper" or "assistant" and translates really in trade jargon to
technician.  Yet these same get to pass themselves off as bonified piano
builders when they dont have the first clue about building concepts.  I
think in the end they are headed for the same kinds of problems the PTG
struggles with in keeping public respect for their titles.  The RPT
status suffers in university situations because all too many RPT's are
simply not up to the task of handling a university situation with
demands of high quality work and problem solving.  I've said before that
the CAUT organization should provide its own stamp of recognition to
techs... with testing procedures that far exceed the demands of the RPT
testing.

If you can first show the University world that a CAUT approved
technician will guaranteed handle any University job situation... and
work hard to spread the word to all universities... then maybe some
headway will be made.

As too the salary.  I admit it looks on the surface lower then it
should.  But one should not forget the value of paid medical and dental
insurances, along with the usual reductions in tuition for family
members such jobs usually offer.  These are not specified in the note
posted... but then that wasnt a readout of the job listing perhaps.

There might be one objection that one could raise about paid medical
insurances I suppose.  Insurance companies in America seem to be so
capable of finding clever ways of renigging on there coverage deals that
many of us out in countries like Canada and some European companies
wonder at the continued support for the so called private health system
over there.... but thats another question entirely and we dont need to
get into that.  Point being I'd understand that some would more or less
write off any value of a health care package as part of a salary deal.

Cheers
RicB

    Scott, others,

    With all the job openings nowadays I rarely see "RPT preferred", etc.
    Below it says "technical training from a recognized school of piano
    technology, or college graduate with courses in piano technology..."

    What schools are considered "recognized"???? or, what courses qualify
    (above)?

    When I applied here at BYU it said "RPT or equivalent preferred". A
    fellow applied as "certified" because he has his certificate from "the
    American School of Piano Tuning", or something like that. I looked into
    the "school" and all you needed was to pay the $250.00 or so and
    complete 10 lessons. Then, I guess you were certified".

    With the salaries listed for the last several posted openings I guess we
    have a long way to go...

    Jim Busby RPT, BA, MPT, BMF