[CAUT] Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Tue Oct 9 23:34:07 MDT 2007

Jim, et al,

As I've been reading these posts I find truth in all sides of the
arguments but I keep thinking back to 1992 when I took my first position
at a University after being an independent tech for 10 years with my own
rebuilding business. My income had dropped 40% over the 2 previous years
due to the Reagan recession and I was tired of the feast-or-famine, no
such thing as a vacation routine. I wasn't in the Guild at the time so I
joined because I saw a couple of ads for university jobs that
"suggested" RPT status. I wasn't a tuner either but I got a copy of the
Sanderson/Baldassin 2-octave A temperament from a friend in the PTG and
commenced to practicing tuning on a nice Baldwin L I owned that I had
rebuilt but couldn't sell to save my soul.  I practiced like hell for a
couple of months, passed my exam aurally with flying colors, became an
RPT, got a job and then really started learning what a piano technician
was. I began tuning for concerts and recitals, rebuilding concert grand
actions, dealing with action geometry problems, tuning and regulating
for musicians constantly, etc, etc...I took advantage of every possible
educational opportunity the PTG made available and applied it to my
craft. I became a member of the CAUT committee because I saw there were
some pretty savvy people there that I could learn from. In the 15 years
since I took that first job I have successfully applied for equity
review, changed jobs (once), gotten a job offer with better pay and
threatened to leave if my salary wasn't adjusted upwards(once), and just
recently went through the process of getting myself a promotion through
a comprehensive position review. Through these 4 methods I have doubled
my salary since I began in the Ohio state system. I'd like to think that
the PTG and CAUT have had a great deal to do with my success. In my last
position review the Human Resources person who was given my case
contacted the PTG home office (I didn't tell her, she is pretty smart
and found it herself while looking for professional organizations that
could give her some demographic information on piano technicians). She
became aware of the income discrepancies and professional demands we
write about in this forum all the time. The home office gave her some
(good) names of techs in positions similar to mine to contact and I
benefited from their past work at improving their positions. I was
promoted and got a raise.

I've given this kind of long-winded personal history because I am
positive about a couple of things. Being in the PTG has helped me
immensely along my path BOTH by helping me educate myself and by
promoting the profession to the public in general and academia in
particular. The more we promote PTG, RPT or a CAUT credential to
institutions, the more credibility those titles will have. I've already
seen the results in my brief tenure. Institutions don't seem to care too
much about credentials if the pay-scale is low, but if we start to be
paid as well as some faculty (and some technicians are) they are going
to start looking more closely at qualifications. WE are the ones who
must push the salaries up. Nobody is going to just give it to us, we
have to fight for it. You have to do it yourselves. When one of us gets
themselves a big raise or negotiates a better starting salary it helps
everybody because the HR people go around looking for comparisons and it
will put upward pressure on salaries everywhere.

At any rate, a good CAUT curriculum with targeted classes at the
regional and national level will be of benefit to all who aspire to
improve themselves whether it leads to a CAUT credential or not. The
more you know, the more ways there are to make a good living...

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
College-Conservatory of Music