[CAUT] Backfire!!

Tunethepno at aol.com Tunethepno at aol.com
Fri Oct 12 06:20:35 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/10/2007 9:42:17 A.M. Utech EDT (14),
pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu writes:

Questions:
1.  Does this piano have potential to be a great instrument?
2.  Is it worth putting thousands of  dollars into it? or-  might it be wiser
to replace action, restring, etc.  just minimal work until funding magically
arrives for a new Steinway?
3.  Has anyone else fallen into such a  thing?

I, too, really like the Baldwin SD-10, however; if this Baldwin was truly
built in the 1950's, it is not an SD (introduced around 1965) but a plain old D.
 I have tried to resurrect a couple of '50's Baldwin D's on limited budgets
and  one of them came through reasonably well. It would have been much better
with a  bigger budget, but it wasn't awful. Not being awful isn't necessarily
the best  recommendation, though. It might come down to the individual piano,
some have  decent character and some, not so much. Both of the Baldwin D's are
great for  practice pianos, for whatever that is worth.

The "nose" factor is difficult to overcome.....

John Stroup
South Bend, Ind.