[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan,Ann Arbor)

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 12 11:51:32 MDT 2007

I don't buy that...PTG is us.   RPT or Associate.   The whole idea was improve the overall quality of piano tuners.  If a tech becomes a member he is more likely to go to meetings and conventions and upgrade his skills.   I remember my Craftsman test eons ago...I tuned a horribly out of tune piano and the "Craftsman" said OK, you in.   This was in North Dakota.   When I took the test the 2nd time California, I just had to do a few repairs, file a hammer and I can't even remember if I tuned a piano...I was established...sort of.  I finally took the RPT test and it was a much improved test of skills.

"it used to be that you had to actually prove skills via a rebuilt or restrung piano

with a new block and attending finish work. RPT is paperwork albeit tuning skills."

Does anyone else remember this testing for Craftsman?  I sure don't.

David Ilvedson, RPT

Pacifica, CA 94044