[CAUT] Chickering quarter grand for next to nothing.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 15 13:37:24 MDT 2007

Just a quick follow up on this one.  Took delivery of it today and its
stored on its side for the time being. The serial number is 128001,
which puts it at 1917 if that means anything to anyone.

Cheers
RicB

    Just got back from a very strange garden sale today. Actually it was
    arranged at a local school.  45 minutes before closing I got a telefon
    call from a friend who'd been there asking if I was interested in
    buying
    a grand piano for about 400 USD.  3000 NOK to be precise.  I asked what
    it was and the fellow said something about a little chicken piano.  I
    asked if it was Chickering and he said he thought that was the
    name.  He
    said there was a bid of 1000 kroner on it and they wouldnt sell it for
    less then three thousand so if I wanted it I could have it for that.

    So I go down there and sure enough... here is this Chickering quarter
    grand sitting there.  Pretty beat up but soundboard still intact and
    with minor work the action could be playable.  There was this sheet of
    paper taped on it with the bids so far along with the telefon
    numbers of
    the person making the bids.  One bid was for 0 kroner.. several were
    for
    300- 400 and a couple around 800.

    I bought the thing of course.  It needs to be refinished, needs lots of
    action work, and there is one very hairline crack in the soundboard,
    which otherwise sounds actually quite lively for what I could discern
    given its condition.

    Cheers