[CAUT] Upright geometry problem (Nordiska)

Fred S Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Oct 15 17:42:11 MDT 2007

Interesting observation. It makes me suspicious though
that there may be something besides or in addition to
springs causing the problem. Damper wires hitting spring
rail felt or its equivalent? Jack hitting a rail or other
something designed to limit its travel? Damper springs
digging into some trough in the spring groove? Jack
springs that have so much wire, they can't compress
enough?

I'm not sure what else there might be, but I'd sure be
looking for it. Springs may make an action "heavier at the
bottom of the keystroke" but shouldn't be "that hard," at
least I wouldn't think so. Of course, I'm not faced with
those pianos, and haven't run into what you folks are
describing, so what do I know? I have run into a few
pianos, usually old uprights, where damper felt seemingly
twice the thickness of the original was used as
replacement, and spring strength made it so that playing
with a light touch you would get hammer bobble, but
somehow that doesn't seem like what Jim Busby was
describing. I guess one question to ask is whether playing
with the pedal down makes a really marked difference.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico