[CAUT] CAUT pay, was Job Opening...

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Oct 15 15:23:01 MDT 2007

On Oct 12, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Michael Magness wrote:

>  Being in the private sector isn't all it's cracked up to be, I pay
> my own social security, self employment tax, retirement, insurance,
> then there's the overhead. My phone bill is almost $100 a month,
> just the one on my desk, then there's the cell phone, vehicle cost,
> advertising, parts inventory, tools all of the things the
> University provides for you. I have the feeling you have never been
> in the private sector or if you were it was quite brief.

Hi Mike,
I do need to also address this misconception.

You have obviously been misled about what an employee is responsible
for and what is provided.  I get the feeling you've never been an
employee.

The university provides me with very little.  I think we'd all like
to believe that ideally the university provides technicians tools.
I've gradually begun accumulating "some" tools for the university
shop by sneaking them into parts orders, but the vast majority of
them are provided by me as required by my job description.  I have
often bought items such as glue out of my own pocket because the
purchase requisition process and cash reimbursement process is too
aggravating to deal with.  And I sometimes take grand action work
home because there isn't a work bench here deep enough to do grand
action work.

Yes, my employer subsidizes a part of the social security and FICA
(or self-employment tax), retirement and insurance, but a sizable
portion of my income is subtracted from my pay to pay the remainder.
Some states pay the entire amount for the employee, but the salary
will be adjusted so that the take home pay winds up about the same.
You don't want to get into a comparison on taxes.  Truth is, you pay
those taxes on your net income.  I pay it on the gross amount.  The
tax system is set up to benefit the business owner, not the employee.

And let's talk about overhead.  Phone bill, cell phone, vehicle cost,
advertising, parts inventory, tools are all paid for on your schedule
C.  (I don't consider parts inventory at issue here -- that is
something you should be earning a profit on when you sell them).  You
get to deduct every mile you drive, which should pay your car payment
and more.  Every tool is covered before you are taxed.  Your phone
bills are paid for before you are taxed.  Your home computer and
internet service are all pre-tax expenditures.  From what I
understand, there is a world of items the self-employed business
person deduct that an employee can't.  Imagine now having all those
items still to pay for, but instead having to do that with the money
you normally have left over for food, clothing and other items in
your home.

An employed tech pays for every one of those items that for you are
pretax business expenses with after-tax dollars.  As an employee, my
car, my cell phone, my home computer and my tools, etc., in effect,
all pay taxes.  Retirement contributions and health insurance
premiums don't even reduce FICA (self-employment) and Social Security
taxes like they do for you.  Only income tax is affected.  And as an
employee, I cannot deduct the value of tools purchased during a year
unless it exceeds something like $1800 or more, whatever the amount
is now.

I have no choice about how much money I want to put into a retirement
account or what kind of account I want it to go into.  6.5% of my
gross pay is deducted from my check to go into a pension fund.  Yes,
there is an employer "match", but only to the extent that when I get
to retirement age, the income I would receive is supplemented at that
time.  I cannot borrow against the value of what I have contributed
and if I leave employment and want to roll the accumulated value into
a different investment vehicle, the employer match doesn't go with
it.  All I get are the value of my contributions plus interest.  Some
of the other schools (states) offer defined contribution plans rather
than the defined benefit plans, but either way, once you are enrolled
in either, you don't get to choose to not participate unless you
resign.  You can't just say, I need to repair the roof, so we need to
take care of that this month instead of putting money in our
retirement plan.

The only way I get to use the same deductions you get is to leave
this place every day and go into the private sector when I leave.
Yes, I've been in the private sector for about 23 years now.  I've
only been a full time CAUT for the past 9, almost 10 years, though I
have done CAUT work almost my entire career.  I do get these
deductions, but since I can only spend a fraction of the day doing
self-employed work, obviously my deductions will be smaller.  Still,
the amount of taxes withheld from my university paycheck is
substantial.  According to my accountant, I can earn somewhere
between $25K and $30K above my university salary before I will start
to owe more in taxes that what is withheld.

Yes, that's including self-employment tax.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina