[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Mon Oct 15 20:18:51 MDT 2007

Ed,

This is a good idea on the surface but it has been my experience that
regional seminar planners are not interested. They feel that people
will not come if the rooms, classrooms, etc. are not in the same
location/building. You could not book rooms in the dorms during the
breaks because they are still student occupied. That's not to say
there may be some perfect solution at some campuses but I'm guessing
that they are few. Perhaps a CAUT specific seminar would work in a
fashion like the Steinway week at Oberlin. This is something worth
having a look at some time down the line if things progress on the
endorsement.

During my tenure as the committee chair, I contacted regional
planners on a regular basis to ask about adding CAUT classes. It was
a mixed success every year. It really takes someone in each region to
push this on a regular basis to succeed at all. MARC, California and
I believe Texas still hold some CAUT classes most years. When the
workload of the CAUT committee decreases a bit from its current
charge perhaps we can focus on this issue again. Thanks for bring it up!

Don

> From: Ed Sutton <ed440 at mindspring.com>
> Date: October 15, 2007 8:14:14 PM EDT
> To: College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: [CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re:  Job Opening, U. of
> Michigan, Ann Arbor)
> Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
>

> It seems that several of the regional seminars are having trouble
> making the tradition "hotel-based" seminars pay their way.
> A university based seminar, held perhaps on the week-end of Fall
> break might be able to offer new ways to learn.  All those practice
> rooms could be used for extended hands-on repair,regulation and
> tuning classes, maybe leaving the school better off for the deal.
> Ed Sutton

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician
Ithaca College