[CAUT] CAUT pay, was Job Opening...

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Oct 16 10:17:24 MDT 2007

At 08:49 AM 10/16/2007, Conrad wrote:
>There are actually 3 "master" and one "sub-master" keys there, but
>the system is crazy.  If the music building is closed, and I want to
>get anywhere besides my room, I use one key to get me into the music
>building, another to get me into my office, where I have the ring
>which contains the key to the utilities basement, where I use yet
>another key for the lock-box where the master keys are. The "master"
>keys are on a welded ring on that dog chain...
>
>Did you follow that?
>
>Is it fun, yet?

It's getting there ... <grin>

So, they had a master key, but decided that if one is good, several
different ones would be better; then they decided that if they are
master keys, they must never leave the building; then they decided
that these multiple uber-keys should not be quick to find, they
surely deserve a little respect, like their own little throne room
with several locked antechambers, so they set up an approach path
with multiple keys somewhat similar to a software firewall company's
telephone help line tree .... i.e., one is never supposed to reach
the business end of it.

I can just hear you explaining this system to your successor when you
reach retirement a few years down the pike ... allow a LOT of time
for it! Maybe you could write a flowchart while having a beer
together, to bolster his or her courage.

Susan