[CAUT] Nordiska; feedback and design flaw

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Oct 16 18:31:20 MDT 2007

List,

Feedback on the short term solution;

On the Nordiska in question I found that bending the (wire) capstans
backward so they hit further back on the wippen cushion indeed solved
MOST of the problem with bobbling hammers. On hammers that continued
multiple hitting; weakening the damper spring also helped with that
problem.

IOW, since most of the bobbling came from the butt hitting on top of the
jack moving the capstan increased the distance the wippen traveled and
this extra movement allowed the jack to get out from under the butt.
However, on soft blows the but/jack wasn't the issue. The springs were.
So, it now works to the lady's satisfaction, but not to mine! Why? It's
still .450 dip, about 75 DW and blow is about 41mm. But hey, I'm keeping
my mouth shut...

Since we're talking a poor execution of design I guess the "design flaw"
and possible correct "fix" should be;

1.	Move capstans back
2.	Move wippen cushion to the right spot
3.	Remove lead (4 leads on the back of each key) to obtain a better
DW
4.	???? (Change action post location?)

Does this seem like a proper correction in design? Not that I'll mess
with it this time, but it's good to know IMO.

All these years I've been tweaking grands and have never really
considered uprights. I've never been to or seen a class on them except
Jack Wyatt's "Turbo charging the Upright" class.

Thanks to all who contributed!

Jim Busby BYU