[CAUT] lighter touchweight

Jeff Farris Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 17 09:33:53 MDT 2007

Hi List,

I have a customer who wants his 1975 Baldwin 6'8" grand to feel
lighter. It was virtually unused for many years and recently had an
action reconditioning and regulation. It weighed off pretty
reasonable. Downweight averaged low 50's to 50 and upweight averaged
upper 20's to 30. Friction seemed low if anything. There isn't a lot
of lead in the keys, as much as four weights in some of the lower
bass. The hammers have enough "extra" material in the cove to remove
some in an arc shape.  I'm wondering if doing only that would result
in enough weight loss to make much difference. Has anyone done this
procedure not in conjunction with leading, etc. and received good
results?

Sorry if you already received this. I tried to send this message
yesterday from a different source computer and don't know if it went
out. :)

Thanks,
--
Jeff Farris