[CAUT] Lighter Touchweight

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 11:51:08 MDT 2007

Chris:

Yes.  When topics like this are posted there is a presumption of expertise
that can be dangerous and I admit this may be a mistake on my part.
However, many of the options proposed are very dubious, in my view, and
should be able to be addressed through a careful analysis and questioning of
the pianist.  But it does require some very specific knowledge.  Raising the
hammer line is probably a good thing to do in this case in order to try and
tease out some of the other variables.  It's fast, won't cost much and is
easily reversible.  It will, in fact, reduce the touchweight, or at least
the friction at the beginning of the key stroke by placing the rotation more
immediately on the vertical than the horizontal.  If there is already
adequate aftertouch it will make that excessive and raising the hammers too
high off the rest cushion can have negative effects on repetition (though I
think that piano has an adjustable strip).  So I don't have a problem with
that at least as an interim move.  Where I have a problem is with
suggestions about making the piano brighter, drilling holes in wippens,
changing damper timing (unless it really is picking up way too early) and
similar approaches that are time consuming and costly relative to their
chance for success.  The customer may not want the piano brighter, drilling
holes in wippens is very time consuming and really doesn't accomplish
anything significant, and changing the damper timing is only relevant when
playing without the pedal and alters control of legato playing due to
earlier shutoff on release--not a good trade-off in my view.

Neither would I presume that just because 52down/30up is something that many
of us would "kill for" that it isn't something that is too heavy for this
particular pianist.  This week I am going to assess a touchweight complaint
(too heavy) after the current technician told the customer "It's fine,
that's the way it's supposed to be".  It may be, but she doesn't like it and
I have a new customer.  And after this posting I'm on my way to a very good
concert level pianist who has a D and for whom I modified the action to
achieve her own personal goal of 26 BW, yes that's 36 down and 16 up +/-.
It wasn't easy to accept that was what she really wanted and harder yet to
achieve that in a way that didn't compromise other aspects of performance,
but she loves it.  What should I say, "that's not how it's supposed to be"?

While customers are sometimes mistaken in their perceptions and similarly
mistaken in their description of problems (how many ways can you spell
"sticking keys"), they are often right in what they want for themselves and
we are usually better off listening than imposing our own sense of how
things should be or making random guesses about what they "really" mean or
what's likely to fool them.

So in this case, if experiments need to be done in order to determine just
what they want, I would certainly argue for the most expedient and least
cost methods that are easily reversible and don't substitute one problem for
another.  If the original poster lacks the expertise to really get to the
heart of the matter by careful questioning and analysis, then the best thing
to do might be to employ someone who is and who can get it right with the
minimum number of false starts.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com