[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Sat Oct 20 08:50:39 MDT 2007

I'm liking what I'm seeing in this recent thread.

1)  Career path research--I think there's some value in sharing
career path information.  Perhaps compiling that information would
provide a direction not only for the CAUT curriculum group but also
for PTG members in general.  I've listed the top ten significant
influences for my career at the end of this post.  I'd be interested
to know if others think this might be a fruitful avenue of PTG research.

2)  Educational consultants--I also believe that there might be an
educational consultant that might help us develop educational
programs.  Two requirements seem paramount to me.  1)  The content
and method of delivery in a classroom should be carefully crafted to
deal with multiple learning styles.  2)  Any program needs to be
replicated across the country in regular on-going fashion.  I think
Ric was thinking along the same lines when he stated: "perhaps it
(PTG) should take initiative to start forming a uniform curriculum
for piano technology for the schools that already do exist, and
promote the establishment of a few more university levels that offer
it". Perhaps the consulting could come from within our own PTG
membership.  Many of us are, after all, teachers with teaching
credentials.  Kathy Maxwell in the home office should also be involved.

3.  Task Force--Wim's idea of an education task force might be worth
pursuing.  Or maybe we already have one in Jim's CAUT curriculum
subcommittee.  In fact working on a more limited focused project
might be the better approach.

I agree with Ric when he says the process of reaching competency in
our profession takes waaayyy too long.  This gets back to the
experienced based education process.  I think PTG's biggest service
would be to shorten that process through its educational programs.
In fact I think this is one of PTG's primary missions.  If we can
find a way to organize the delivery of information, we fulfill our
mission.  I  think we need to do a better job of working with
schools, manufacturers, education "experts", and our own
organizational structure (regionals, chapter meetings, "magnate"
seminars, etc.).

4.  Here are the top 10 influences on my career path.  I'd be
interested in hearing about others' career making influences:

1.  1 year piano tech school (Western Iowa Tech)
2.  1 semester woodworking class
3.  a summer sabbatical working at a German piano factory
4.  manufactures' week long seminars (Yamaha, Steinway)
5.  just being a university tech raises the ante for high quality work
6.  the obligation as a university tech to be involved with and
support the profession and the professional organization
7.  PTG conventions
8.  teaching a class to university students
9.  volunteering as a CTE
10.  personal contacts with other technicians

Richard West