[CAUT] Uniform Formal Education

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sat Oct 20 09:10:49 MDT 2007

At North Bennet Street School, we had three instructors rotate through the
first-year class.  This allowed us to learn a variety of techniques to do
the same job: key leveling with the stack off, or with it on, using split
punchings from the bottom, and so on.  We also got to hear explanations of
concepts from different people.  And yet the goals we were set to were the
same and well-established, pretty much in line with the RPT exams.

There were twice as many practice pianos as students, and we rotated through
them, tuning every day on spinets, consoles, studios, uprights, small and
large grands.  We sure didn't do four a day; we had to have class time! :-)
But when we got a solid tuning in under three hours (c'mon, remember your
first tuning?), we could go out to Boston U., Harvard, and the local
Steinway dealer, to get a larger variety of experience.  It was quite an
experience to deal with the huge amount of wear on rehearsal room pianos (as
well as the random assortment of items dropped inside them)!  We tuned those
pianos for free, and it was a good partnership between the universities and
NBSS.  We both benefited.

--Cy--