[CAUT] Lighter Touchweight

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Oct 20 20:35:06 MDT 2007

OK.  There are many things that might contribute to the problem and I
thought I addressed that in another post.  As I mentioned several times,
there really wasn't enough information about the piano's regulation,
voicing, actual touchweight, front weights, matched strike weights or
anything else, for that matter.  Only a complaint that the action was too
heavy.  Sometimes pianists do mistake one problem for another and sometimes
they don't.  A skilled technician who is a competent communicator should be
able to tease out those variables before undertaking leverage changes, if
that's what's needed.  Personally, if I as a pianist complained about a
heavy action and someone came in and made the piano brighter explaining to
me that that it was so I would feel like it was lighter I'd throw them out
faster than a New York cab driver honks when the light turns green.

But you're right, all the other things should be checked first.  That being
said, I do think the solutions offered in the manner that I was addressing
them were mostly perceptual tricks and not real solutions.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com